It is still officially autumn, but tell that to Mother Nature. She seems to have a different schedule for us this year. With over 63% of the country currently covered by snow, it seems that winter has indeed arrived despite the calendar.
Traveling has been treacherous across much of the nation with yet another large storm predicted for this weekend to affect a huge area. How does this affect the moving industry? Well luckily it is not our busiest time of year, however, we still have Albany movers on the go who need to get their household contents to their new destination.
Liedkie Moving & Storage is a long distance moving company serving Albany movers and the greater New York area. In addition we are a Prime Arpin Van Lines agent. Arpin has been providing long distance move services for over 100 years. Arpin has recognized by Consumer Reports Magazine as being #1 in customer satisfaction, and by Logistics Management magazine as being #1 in customer service, value, and on-time performance. As a Prime Arpin agent, Liedkie Moving & Storage is prepared and experienced when it comes to harsh weather and long distance moves, and has the nationwide resources to move you in any weather conditions. No matter what the weather, and how many states we need to cross, we will bring your goods home.
Just a reminder to our Albany movers- please be safe along your own move journey. Whether you are flying to your new destination or driving, be prepared if you are moving to or from a winter weather affected area. Be sure to pack the essentials in case of a weather emergency. Keep an eye on the weather reports and airport closings/cancellations etc. You could be stuck at an airport or on an interstate. Airports aren’t the best place to be stuck but they are warm and have pretty much what you would need for a longer than planned stay. Stuck in a storm on the road is another story.
We highly recommend that our Albany movers planning a winter move, read the Winterize Your Vehicle Checklist on FEMA’s ready.gov website for preparing your vehicle for long distance winter travel and what to have on hand in your vehicle in case of a winter emergency. Also check out the Winter Driving segment at disastercenter.com. You will want to know these life saving tips in an emergency.
Liedkie Moving & Storage wish our Albany movers a safe journey home this winter. Always check ahead and plan to avoid weather affected areas along your travel route. Stop ahead of a storm and wait it out in a hotel. Arrive safe and sound at your new destination.
Liedkie Moving & Storage would like to wish all Albany movers and all our New York move customers a Happy Thanksgiving. We are very grateful to you for your business and your positive reviews of our Albany moving services. We appreciate our repeat customers who have placed their faith in us time and time again to handle their New York moves. We also appreciate the many referrals we have received from satisfied customers. It is a high complement and one we are proud of. Thank you for making us your choice for your greater New York area move service!
We at Liedkie Moving & Storage wish you and yours a bountiful, healthy and Happy Thanksgiving!
Liedkie Moving & Storage would like to remind our Albany Movers that as they are preparing for their upcoming move, food storage items can weigh a lot and increase the cost of your move. Why not lighten your move load and donate your excess food items to your local food bank?
This time of year it is easy for Albany movers to find places to donate food. There are donation drop-offs in many area stores, churches, school etc. Also you can check out Feeding America to find a local food bank that may accept your food donation or direct you on where you can drop it off.
So why not pack up your food and drop it where it is most needed instead of loading it onto the move truck? Lighten your move load to save moving costs and help feed those in need. It’s a perfect match. We here at Liedkie Moving & Storage wish all of our Albany movers a warm and bountiful Thanksgiving.
How are you doing with your fall sorting and purging? Autumn is flying by. The busy holiday season will be upon us in a flash. This is the best time of year to take stock of what you have and what you will keep before a move. Your move costs will be based partly on the weight of your move load. You will surely save money on your move by purging unwanted items now. Throughout this fall season we have been sharing ideas and resources for sorting through the contents of the home with our future Albany movers. There are still a couple of weeks left before the bustle of the holidays takes front stage. Time to move more stuff!
As you looked through closets, attic, basement, garage, shed, you got a true sense of what you need and want and what you will be leaving behind. Liedkie Moving & Storage shared resources and ideas for recycling, donations, on-line selling, etc. And do not forget the possibility of holding a yard sale.
So now you are left with everything you will definitely be taking with you on your move. Some Albany movers may have used the sorting exercise as a time to start packing up items they will not be needing before moving day. Do you have furniture and boxes that are in the way of home showings? It is always best to show a home on the market that is free of clutter, personal items and abundant storage items. This helps the buyers “see” themselves living in your home. A great way to clear the way is to use temporary storage space. As your trusted Albany mover, Liedkie Moving & Storage offers temporary storage space. Our facilities are clean, climate controlled, and secure. Come moving day, we can load your storage items along with the rest of your household contents and move everything to your new residence.
Also, keep our storage space in mind if you will be moving to temporary housing before you can move into your permanent home. We offer many solutions for short and long term storage. Liedkie Moving & Storage can provide for all your moving and storage needs. Good luck to Albany movers with all pre-move preparations!
Last week Liedkie Moving & Storage brought forward the topic of cleaning out the “spooky” basement to our future Albany movers. In keeping with the spirit of this last week in October, we would like to turn your attention to the batty attic!
For those of you in the Albany area that are planning a move in the next year, it is never too early to prepare for that move now when you have the time. It will save you money and time later. Liedkie Moving & Storage makes a point of sharing ideas and resources as well as offering our moving and storage services to make your Albany move as smooth as possible. We have brought up the topics of sorting and purging all the areas of your home including closets, garage, shed, and basement. What about the batty attic?! Don’t forget to go up there. Like the basement, the attic can be an area you want to put off and avoid but you will be so glad you dealt with it now and not when it is time to actually move.
Attics can be filled with spooky things like spiders and webs and THINGS that no longer serve you. Take this season to get up there and see what is what. It is another great project to get the family involved in as you sort through possible heirlooms and family history. Be sure to have a safe way to get into the attic. If you have a pull down staircase, check to make sure it is working properly and remove all pets and children from the area when pulling it down. Go up and inspect the flooring and area to ensure your safety before proceeding.
As in other areas of your home, you will decide what stays and what goes. You can beginning packing up many items for if they are in the attic, you probably will not be using them any time soon. In past posts, we offered ideas and resources for recycling, donating and yard sales. Another great way to lighten your move load and save you costs on your move is to sell items online. There are countless online stores where you can list your items for sale. There are companies you can hire to sell your stuff for you. There are also sites that allow you to build your own online store for selling anything you come across. Future Albany movers may see this time (months before a move) as the time to sell on line and put some cash in your pocket.
Liedkie Moving & Storage encourages our future Albany movers to research the many options available for online selling. It is another great way to get rid of what you no longer need before your big move. Check back through our older posts for great resources and ideas for sorting through the contents of your home. Good luck clearing out the “Spooky” areas of your home and Happy Halloween!
People move for many reasons. They move to larger homes to accommodate a growing family. People move so their children can go to the best schools. They move to smaller homes when the family grows up. Some people move because of a job change. Some move when they retire. Others move when they get married. So many life circumstances can necessitate a move. And as many reasons as there are to move, there are countless reasons to investigate where you think you would like to go.
Gathering information about where you might plan to relocate is an important step in ensuring you will land in the best place for you and your family. Liedkie Moving & Storage are all about moving. We are dedicated to providing Albany area movers with support and resources for their Albany area relocation. We have created a short list of things Albany area movers might consider when looking for a new community.
- Rural, Suburban, Urban? That’s the big question. Each type of area will be very different. Consider what is most important to you in terms of the type of community you want to live in.
- School system-If you have children or plan to have children, then certainly this consideration would be high on your list. Check out
- Convenience of shopping-For some knowing their favorite stores are right nearby is an important consideration.
- Crime rate-there are plenty of resources on the internet to help you determine how safe a community is.
- Cost of living-This varies from place to place all over the country. You will want to become familiar with what to expect in an area of interest.
- Real-estate values-These too fluctuate greatly from place to place.
- Life-style-What types of activities will you want to enjoy in your new location? You will want to investigate places where you can participate in your favorite hobbies, sports, arts, etc.
- Dog friendly cities/towns-Check out dogfriendly.com for all sorts of dog friendly city information.
We know it is a lot for future Albany area movers to consider. Here are some great sites where you can get much of the information you will need to narrow down your considerations from above.
Research is the place to start and from there you will surely find your way home. Have fun with your search. These days a lot of mystery can be taken out of the relocation process when you can find so much on the web including photos and reviews and ratings on all kinds of things in communities. So good luck Albany area movers! Liedkie Moving & Storage helps take the stress out of your Albany area move.
Happy September! The summer is winding down. It is the squirrely time of year where we tend to feel like getting ready or getting back to normal or getting organized. For Liedkie Moving & Storage, the summer was and continues to be our busiest move season. But we are always looking ahead and preparing for the next one.
Many people in Albany are just beginning the thought process about a future Albany move and this time of year is perfect for planning and preparing. Future Albany movers can take advantage of the change in the air and the fall clear out/clean out feeling and start sorting through the contents of their home.
We here at Liedkie Moving & Storage like to get our Albany movers thinking ahead to make a future move as smooth as possible. It is a great time of year to prepare and purge! You might not be moving for a while, but it is never too early to think about what stays and what goes if you know a move is on the horizon. Sorting and purging contents of your home can seem like an overwhelming task if you leave it down to the weeks or even a month or two before a move. It could almost be a second job if you have collected a ton over the years.
Start now and start small. Begin with just one cabinet. If you know you are keeping some of the items you sort through but won’t be using them before you move, you can even begin boxing them up and labeling the contents. One rule of thumb is: if you use it regularly, will use it in the next year, or enjoy it in anyway, then it should probably go with you. Best of all, purging the weight of the contents of your home can help lower the cost of your future move. Remember, your move costs will be calculated based on weight so why not get your home skinny well before actual move day. Be sure to recycle and donate what you will not be keeping. Check out Earth911 or Donationtown for countless resources for donating and recycling your unwanted items.
Like the squirrels, Liedkie Moving & Storage like to get ready for what may come. If you are one of the many future Albany movers thinking of moving in the next year or so, prepare ahead and begin your move purge little by little over time. You will be so glad you do it come moving time and so will your wallet. Check back through this upcoming season for purging tips and resources.
For the last couple of weeks, Liedkie Moving & Storage has been sharing our resources and ideas for college students moving away to school and younger students starting a new school after a move. In keeping with the back to school theme of August, we would like to bring up the topic of back to school safety.
Back to School Safety is important for all children and their families but if you are recent Albany movers and your child will be starting a new school, you will want to focus in on this more than usual as you get used to your new community. Just as you would develop safety plans and precautions in your new home, you want to have an understanding of safety procedures in and around the school.
Liedkie Moving & Storage is always on the lookout for information to share that could be useful to Albany movers looking for ways to prepare to move or settle in after a move. We found some great information to share with you regarding back to school safety. Take a look at these great school safety resources.
- The National Safety Council provides a Back to School Safety page on their site that provides links to areas dedicated to all matters involving school safety including school transportation safety and school safety. They even have a Back to School Safety Checklist so you as the parent of a child starting a new school can look over the list together and be prepared.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention provide a Safe Youth. Safe Schools page on their site that includes a long list of resources and articles that cover a multitude of youth safety topics. We found it to be a great page for Albany movers concerned about keeping their children safe in and around a new school environment.
- College Students also have safety procedures and practices to consider. We found a resource for them too. Protection1 Campus Safety Matters is an entire website dedicated to Campus safety. On their Campus Safety Tips page you can find a list of fabulous articles covering all topics having to do with college safety. Be sure to link this one to your son or daughter so that they have it to refer to again and again as they protect themselves at school.
Of course the best resources you have about your particular school can be found at your new school. We suggest you give the school a call to discuss that school’s specific safety practices and programs.
August is always an exciting buzzy time of back to school preparations for families. Liedkie Moving & Storage is always on the lookout for tips and tools to help Albany movers prepare for a move and settle into their new homes. We hope you enjoyed our post on Back to School Safety and the resources we found for you. We wish you and your students a fabulous new school year!
It’s that time of year again! Students all over the country have already started their back to school shopping. Whether with excitement or dread, they are going back. Students returning to the same school pretty much know what to expect but starting a new school equals a big bunch of unknowns.
Are you an Albany mover with children getting ready to move or just settling in? Will your children be starting a new school? Liedkie Moving & Storage know from many years working with our Albany Move customers that this can create feelings of uncertainty and a bit of dread. Settling into a new home and neighborhood is a huge adjustment, but add the adjustment to a new school on top of that and that is a lot of change for a child. However, it can be a very positive experience and one we would like to help you with.
Liedkie Moving & Storage is happy to provide tips and resources for our Albany Movers to help their kids adjust to a new school.
- Make a memory scrapbook-Before your child begins the new school, make a scrapbook together including photos of the old school, teachers, friends, school art work, projects and programs from music and sporting events. This is a wonderful way to introduce yourself to new teachers and friends when you arrive at your new school. They will see that you were a happy member of a school community and help to create a bond and connection into the new school. Your child will feel proud to have something to share about where he or she comes from. Sharing the scrapbook will give kids in the new school a way to get to know your child better taking some mystery out of the new comer.
- Contact the school-You will need to register your child but also ask what programs they might have to help your child feel at home there. Many schools have student guides and mentors that were chosen by their teachers and counselors specifically for their welcoming friendly nature to guide and assist your child in getting around and for making introductions to new classmates. Your school will most likely have visiting days and or events for new students.
- Reach out to the new teacher-Perhaps you will have the opportunity to meet with the teacher before your student begins school so they can get to know one another. If not, look into the possibility of a phone call and/or emailing. This will help your child feel more comfortable entering a new classroom for the first time.
- Get to know your neighbors-As you are moving in and settling in, you might have an opportunity to meet some of your neighbors. Your neighbors might have school students themselves or will most likely know if there are children in the neighborhood that attend the same school. This might be an opportunity to meet new schoolmates outside of school.
- Extra-curricular activities-It is a good idea for Albany Movers to look into your new area ahead of time and see if your child’s favorite extra-curricular activities are offered by the school or in the community. If your child participates in a sport, music, scouts etc., they will be at ease to know that they will have an immediate common connection with other students who participate in the same activity. If you move during summer, your child may even be able to become involved with their favorite sport or activity before school even starts, helping him or her to make new friends.
- Once your child begins forming new connections, give him or her the opportunity to communicate back to their old school friends through sharing photos and stories of their new school experience. It will reinforce their new connections and help them feel proud of their new school.
We found more great tips for Albany Movers with students in the following articles:
Yes, there will be unknowns but this can be an exciting and hopeful time too. Liedkie Moving & Storage would like our Albany Movers to know we understand. We are here to take the stress out of your move. Happy Housewarming to our Albany Movers and good luck to your children in their new schools!
The first week of August is recognized as National Simplify Your Life Week and if there is one thing we here at Liedkie Moving & Storage know about, it is how to simplify your Albany Move!
Albany Movers know that moving is no small task. When you look at the mountain of things to do, one can feel overwhelmed very quickly. This creates a stress level that impedes the simplicity of your move. Moving does not have to be so difficult. Liedkie Moving & Storage would like to offer some tips to simplify life for our Albany Movers. Check out these moving tips that will simplify your life.
- Start by hiring a trusted reputable local Albany moving company-These days it is easy to find the right Albany mover with the internet at your fingertips. You will want to hire an insured mover such as Liedkie Moving & Storage who is a Better Business Bureau accredited business and has the American Moving and Storage ProMover certification. You also want a Albany Mover who will provide you with an on-site moving estimate in writing. We can do that too. Simple!
- Follow a plan-Create a time line that includes everything you need to do all the way up to delivery day. When you can clearly see your move plan, it simplifies everything! Let our Move Planner simplify your move process. Read Here. Simple!
- Create an inventory of all the items you will be moving-It helps you keep track of what you are moving to ensure that everything you intended arrives safely.
- Have all the right packing materials at your fingertips. That way you’ll have everything you need to protect your belongings. Or! Simplify even further and hire Liedkie Moving & Storage to help with all of your packing. Simple!
- Create a moving file-This will serve as the one place you place all your move paperwork. Everything from your estimates to your receipts, your move plan, and your inventory can be placed neatly into one file folder. You will know exactly where everything is. Simple!
At Liedkie Moving & Storage, we are all about Simple. Let National Simplify Your Life Week be a reminder to our Albany Movers that moving can be simple. We are here at Liedkie Moving & Storage to help pave the way to your new home. Simple!