Halloween Happenings are about! In our neighborhood, porches and lawns are decked out with fun and frightful greeters ready for trick-or-treaters. Spooky things lurk about as the days grow shorter. It is the time of year for apples, pumpkins, and haunted hayrides. Halloween is time for spooky fun.
In line with our fall sorting and purging posts, the next area of the home Liedkie Moving & Storage would love to help our future Albany area movers tackle is the basement. Basements can be spooky indeed. They are dark and sometimes damp places where you have placed everything you did not know what to do with over possible decades. What is lurking down there? It is time to venture down and deal with it. You will want your basement clear of clutter and looking clean and organized prior to putting your home on the market. You will also surely want to lower the cost of your Albany area moving bill by once again purging excess weight-the things you do not need or want to move to your new home.
We suggest that our future Albany area movers make this task part of your Halloween fun. If you have kids, get them involved. It can become a treasure hunt or trip down memory lane and yes, perhaps a little spooky when you look into dark corners. Perhaps they will find great items to use for their Halloween costumes. Plus their younger legs will not mind all the trips up and down the steps to the curb. Chances are during your sorting process that you will find pounds and pounds of things that are of no use to you anymore since you stashed them down there. With every arm load, you are saving money on your move.
Pick an area of the basement and dig in. Once you have determined what you can donate, recycle, or throw out and deal with it accordingly, you will have more clear space to organize what is left. Check out Earth911 or Donationtown for countless resources for donating and recycling your unwanted items. Perhaps you have items you could sell on-line. Now is the time to do it. Months before you are too busy with the move process. What you want to avoid is the act of just moving useless piles somewhere else in your home. That will not save you time or money. Your goal is to eliminate useless weight now to lower the cost of your move later. Clear up the clutter and move it on out!
Future Albany area movers may choose to use this time to also start packing up anything they come across that will not be used before their move. Have packing material handy and save time later. Liedkie Moving & Storage can help Albany area movers with the packing tips found here.
Finish the day or weekend’s spooky basement clean-out task with the rewards of some hot cider, pumpkin carving and a spooky movie. Your basement will no longer be a spooky place and you can sit back and enjoy Halloween fun. Good Luck future Albany area movers! Liedkie Moving & Storage is standing by as you Albany area mover ready to provide you with the resources and services you need throughout your entire move process. BOO!
People move for many reasons. They move to larger homes to accommodate a growing family. People move so their children can go to the best schools. They move to smaller homes when the family grows up. Some people move because of a job change. Some move when they retire. Others move when they get married. So many life circumstances can necessitate a move. And as many reasons as there are to move, there are countless reasons to investigate where you think you would like to go.
Gathering information about where you might plan to relocate is an important step in ensuring you will land in the best place for you and your family. Liedkie Moving & Storage are all about moving. We are dedicated to providing Albany area movers with support and resources for their Albany area relocation. We have created a short list of things Albany area movers might consider when looking for a new community.
- Rural, Suburban, Urban? That’s the big question. Each type of area will be very different. Consider what is most important to you in terms of the type of community you want to live in.
- School system-If you have children or plan to have children, then certainly this consideration would be high on your list. Check out
- Convenience of shopping-For some knowing their favorite stores are right nearby is an important consideration.
- Crime rate-there are plenty of resources on the internet to help you determine how safe a community is.
- Cost of living-This varies from place to place all over the country. You will want to become familiar with what to expect in an area of interest.
- Real-estate values-These too fluctuate greatly from place to place.
- Life-style-What types of activities will you want to enjoy in your new location? You will want to investigate places where you can participate in your favorite hobbies, sports, arts, etc.
- Dog friendly cities/towns-Check out dogfriendly.com for all sorts of dog friendly city information.
We know it is a lot for future Albany area movers to consider. Here are some great sites where you can get much of the information you will need to narrow down your considerations from above.
Research is the place to start and from there you will surely find your way home. Have fun with your search. These days a lot of mystery can be taken out of the relocation process when you can find so much on the web including photos and reviews and ratings on all kinds of things in communities. So good luck Albany area movers! Liedkie Moving & Storage helps take the stress out of your Albany area move.
Here it is again… Fire Prevention Week. This year it falls on October 6 and runs through October 12. Liedkie Moving & Storage would like to recognize this important event and remind our Albany area movers about the importance of fire safety.
Here are some important considerations for fire safety during your Albany area move process:
Fire Safety while preparing to move
- For everyone’s safety, gasoline-powered equipment, such as lawn mowers, motorcycles and snow blowers must be emptied of fuel and oil a few days before the move to assure complete evaporation. Propane tanks must be purged and certified before van transport. If your car is being transported, it should have less than a ¼ tank of fuel to allow for expansion.
- By law, there are some items van lines are not allowed to move, so be sure you don’t pack them. Flammables, explosives and corrosives, ammunition and firearms, fireworks or flares, gasoline, kerosene, motor fuel and lamp oil, oil based paints, thinners and varnishes, lighter or starter fluids, fire extinguishers, nail polish remover, bleach, sterno, aerosol cans, propane tanks and cylinders, and matches cannot be transported.
- Leave fresh batteries in all of your fire alarms and be sure they are in good working order for the next occupants.
Fire Safety in your new home
- Check that all fire alarms and carbon monoxide detectors are in good working order.
- Plug in each appliance one at a time and ensure they are working properly and their power cords are free of damage or frayed wires.
- Develop fire escape plans for each member of the family. Each member should have more than one option for escape in case of fire.
- Have a fire drill to practice the escape routes.
- Keep a fire extinguisher in places where fires happen most frequently such as the kitchen. This year’s Fire Prevention Week them is Prevent Kitchen Fires. We invite our Albany area movers to visit the National Fire Prevention Association website for more information on preventing fires in the kitchen.
- For more tips on protecting your family and home from fire, visit the Fire Safety page at The National Safety Council.
Liedkie Moving & Storage are your proven Albany area movers. We encourage you to consult with the real experts on fire safety. Contact your local fire department to find out about Fire Prevention Week activities and resources in your community. Move with fire safety in mind. Keep Safe!
Happy Autumn from Liedkie Moving & Storage! We know that many Albany area moving companies are beginning to slow down after the moving industry’s busiest time of the year. We would like to take this opportunity to thank all of our Albany area movers for the opportunity to serve them and move them into their new homes.
Liedkie Moving & Storage never thinks about slowing down. Moving is an all yearlong industry. We know that many future Albany area movers are just beginning the entire process and thinking about their needs before their big move. Earlier this month, we provided tips for sorting and purging the contents of your home as you anticipate a move down the line. We hope that our future Albany area movers enjoyed our tips and resources for doing that.
Fall makes us think about areas like the garage and shed when the daytime temperatures are perfect for the jobs. In fact, National Clean Out Your Garage Day is observed as the Saturday after Labor Day. No worries if you missed that or even purposely avoided it…..For many, the garage and shed are places they would prefer not to have to deal with. But deal with it you must so let us motivate you to get started! Not only will you want to sort and purge those contents to lessen the weight of your move load and save you money, but if you are getting ready to sell your home soon, you will want these areas to be neat and accessible for showings.
It will be a lot easier to organize these areas and make them accessible after removing what you will not need or want to take with you when you move. We found this article on realtor.com “Don’t Neglect the Garage” to be particularly helpful to get you started. This article has great ideas for getting your garage in shipshape and ready for a showing.
Don’t forget to keep a sense of humor. Play some motivating music while you move through the task. Get the family involved and helping. Most people can get the job done in one day or a weekend. Just think how good you will feel when the job is behind you. Liedkie Moving & Storage are here as your Albany area Movers with all the right resources to take the stress out of your move. Good Luck!
National Voter Registration Day is coming right up on September 24, 2013. Liedkie Moving & Storage would like to remind our recent Albany area movers to register to vote. If you have recently moved, you have a lot to do. Registering to vote could easily fall by the wayside as you are setting up utilities, updating accounts and accessing information about where you moved to ease into your new life. That is why we are taking this time to help our Albany area movers get the job down, so come November, their voices will be heard in our national election.
Liedkie Moving & Storage like to provide resources our Albany area need to ensure a smooth and stress-free move process. Voter registration is a simple and relatively quick process. Check out this page on the Election Assistance Commission website for a list of answers to questions about registering to vote after a move. On this page you will find a link to the National Mail Voter Registration Form and also a link for your local or state elections office. Easy!
Don’t be left out in the cold this November. Get your voter voice heard and register to vote in your new community. It is fast and easy. Liedkie Moving & Storage would like to welcome all recent Albany area movers to their new neighborhood communities.
Welcome back to our news page at Liedkie Moving & Storage! Last week we brought up the topic of the approaching fall and how this time of changing seasons is a great time to begin some sorting and purging in your home to prepare for a future Albany area move. Your move costs will in part be determined by the weight of the contents of your home. You cannot afford to ignore all of your unwanted stuff. If you are like most people, you have more than you need or want lying around your home. Over time things get stashed here and there and forgotten about. Usually the reasons you thought you wanted to keep something are long forgotten as you hold up the strange item and think “Why in the world did I keep this?” Time passes. Your style changes. Your needs change. Take some time to purge now. Enjoy the move savings later.
As your trusted Albany area moving company, we at Liedkie Moving & Storage love to bring you tips and resources to ease your stress. In fact, we are in the business of taking stress out of the equation when it comes to moving. One of the best articles we have found that provides an enormous amount of advice for future Albany area movers is The slacker’s guide to decluttering your home before a sale or move. We suggest you take advantage of these tips and practices and you will be on your way to an affordable Albany area move. Not only will the information help you get on your way to an affordable move, but it will also get your home in tip top shape for showings taking care of two big tasks at once.
Remember start small to avoid feeling overwhelmed or defeated by the process. Begin with what is easiest to allow for the momentum to kick in. You sure will be glad you took the time to do this when you look back at how much unnecessary weight you did not have to pay to move. Liedkie Moving & Storage wishes you the best of luck with your pre-move organizing. We will see you on moving day!
Happy September! The summer is winding down. It is the squirrely time of year where we tend to feel like getting ready or getting back to normal or getting organized. For Liedkie Moving & Storage, the summer was and continues to be our busiest move season. But we are always looking ahead and preparing for the next one.
Many people in Albany are just beginning the thought process about a future Albany move and this time of year is perfect for planning and preparing. Future Albany movers can take advantage of the change in the air and the fall clear out/clean out feeling and start sorting through the contents of their home.
We here at Liedkie Moving & Storage like to get our Albany movers thinking ahead to make a future move as smooth as possible. It is a great time of year to prepare and purge! You might not be moving for a while, but it is never too early to think about what stays and what goes if you know a move is on the horizon. Sorting and purging contents of your home can seem like an overwhelming task if you leave it down to the weeks or even a month or two before a move. It could almost be a second job if you have collected a ton over the years.
Start now and start small. Begin with just one cabinet. If you know you are keeping some of the items you sort through but won’t be using them before you move, you can even begin boxing them up and labeling the contents. One rule of thumb is: if you use it regularly, will use it in the next year, or enjoy it in anyway, then it should probably go with you. Best of all, purging the weight of the contents of your home can help lower the cost of your future move. Remember, your move costs will be calculated based on weight so why not get your home skinny well before actual move day. Be sure to recycle and donate what you will not be keeping. Check out Earth911 or Donationtown for countless resources for donating and recycling your unwanted items.
Like the squirrels, Liedkie Moving & Storage like to get ready for what may come. If you are one of the many future Albany movers thinking of moving in the next year or so, prepare ahead and begin your move purge little by little over time. You will be so glad you do it come moving time and so will your wallet. Check back through this upcoming season for purging tips and resources.
For the last couple of weeks, Liedkie Moving & Storage has been sharing our resources and ideas for college students moving away to school and younger students starting a new school after a move. In keeping with the back to school theme of August, we would like to bring up the topic of back to school safety.
Back to School Safety is important for all children and their families but if you are recent Albany movers and your child will be starting a new school, you will want to focus in on this more than usual as you get used to your new community. Just as you would develop safety plans and precautions in your new home, you want to have an understanding of safety procedures in and around the school.
Liedkie Moving & Storage is always on the lookout for information to share that could be useful to Albany movers looking for ways to prepare to move or settle in after a move. We found some great information to share with you regarding back to school safety. Take a look at these great school safety resources.
- The National Safety Council provides a Back to School Safety page on their site that provides links to areas dedicated to all matters involving school safety including school transportation safety and school safety. They even have a Back to School Safety Checklist so you as the parent of a child starting a new school can look over the list together and be prepared.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention provide a Safe Youth. Safe Schools page on their site that includes a long list of resources and articles that cover a multitude of youth safety topics. We found it to be a great page for Albany movers concerned about keeping their children safe in and around a new school environment.
- College Students also have safety procedures and practices to consider. We found a resource for them too. Protection1 Campus Safety Matters is an entire website dedicated to Campus safety. On their Campus Safety Tips page you can find a list of fabulous articles covering all topics having to do with college safety. Be sure to link this one to your son or daughter so that they have it to refer to again and again as they protect themselves at school.
Of course the best resources you have about your particular school can be found at your new school. We suggest you give the school a call to discuss that school’s specific safety practices and programs.
August is always an exciting buzzy time of back to school preparations for families. Liedkie Moving & Storage is always on the lookout for tips and tools to help Albany movers prepare for a move and settle into their new homes. We hope you enjoyed our post on Back to School Safety and the resources we found for you. We wish you and your students a fabulous new school year!
It’s that time of year again! Students all over the country have already started their back to school shopping. Whether with excitement or dread, they are going back. Students returning to the same school pretty much know what to expect but starting a new school equals a big bunch of unknowns.
Are you an Albany mover with children getting ready to move or just settling in? Will your children be starting a new school? Liedkie Moving & Storage know from many years working with our Albany Move customers that this can create feelings of uncertainty and a bit of dread. Settling into a new home and neighborhood is a huge adjustment, but add the adjustment to a new school on top of that and that is a lot of change for a child. However, it can be a very positive experience and one we would like to help you with.
Liedkie Moving & Storage is happy to provide tips and resources for our Albany Movers to help their kids adjust to a new school.
- Make a memory scrapbook-Before your child begins the new school, make a scrapbook together including photos of the old school, teachers, friends, school art work, projects and programs from music and sporting events. This is a wonderful way to introduce yourself to new teachers and friends when you arrive at your new school. They will see that you were a happy member of a school community and help to create a bond and connection into the new school. Your child will feel proud to have something to share about where he or she comes from. Sharing the scrapbook will give kids in the new school a way to get to know your child better taking some mystery out of the new comer.
- Contact the school-You will need to register your child but also ask what programs they might have to help your child feel at home there. Many schools have student guides and mentors that were chosen by their teachers and counselors specifically for their welcoming friendly nature to guide and assist your child in getting around and for making introductions to new classmates. Your school will most likely have visiting days and or events for new students.
- Reach out to the new teacher-Perhaps you will have the opportunity to meet with the teacher before your student begins school so they can get to know one another. If not, look into the possibility of a phone call and/or emailing. This will help your child feel more comfortable entering a new classroom for the first time.
- Get to know your neighbors-As you are moving in and settling in, you might have an opportunity to meet some of your neighbors. Your neighbors might have school students themselves or will most likely know if there are children in the neighborhood that attend the same school. This might be an opportunity to meet new schoolmates outside of school.
- Extra-curricular activities-It is a good idea for Albany Movers to look into your new area ahead of time and see if your child’s favorite extra-curricular activities are offered by the school or in the community. If your child participates in a sport, music, scouts etc., they will be at ease to know that they will have an immediate common connection with other students who participate in the same activity. If you move during summer, your child may even be able to become involved with their favorite sport or activity before school even starts, helping him or her to make new friends.
- Once your child begins forming new connections, give him or her the opportunity to communicate back to their old school friends through sharing photos and stories of their new school experience. It will reinforce their new connections and help them feel proud of their new school.
We found more great tips for Albany Movers with students in the following articles:
Yes, there will be unknowns but this can be an exciting and hopeful time too. Liedkie Moving & Storage would like our Albany Movers to know we understand. We are here to take the stress out of your move. Happy Housewarming to our Albany Movers and good luck to your children in their new schools!
It is that time of year again! Millions of students all over the country are preparing for a new college year. Some of them will be leaving the nest for the first time to move into a dorm while others may be moving into their own independent off-campus housing. Both situations come with packing and moving needs.
Liedkie Moving & Storage knows full well the excitement and special needs our Albany college students hold since we are a greater Albany area moving company that has been helping families move their kids to college for years and years.
Whether your child is moving a short distance or far from home, we can help take the stress out of the move by providing you with a few ideas and resources.
- Chances are if your student is moving into a dorm, you will not be taking anything large like furniture. Most dorms provide a bed, desk and small chest of drawers. You won’t have room for much else. You will need to pack things you need for school and a few items to make you feel at home. Liedkie Moving & Storage can help. We are the Albany Moving Company that can provide Packing Supplies to ensure your student’s items are protected in transit. It is essential not to over-pack since chances are you will get there and find that the space just won’t hold it all. You may be driving your packed items yourself or need to ship them beforehand. Either way you won’t want to over-pack. Check out these links for ideas on what and what not to pack:
- If your college student is moving into off-campus housing, the moving in needs can and will be very different. Some off-campus housing will rent furnished but others will not. Your student and his or her roommates might need to furnish and supply an entire apartment or house. Liedkie Moving & Storage Company is the Albany Moving Company that can help with your student’s small move – whether it is a local Albany move or a long distance move to another state.
- If your student is attending school in a new state, the logistics of moving their household items can be complex and costly, but Liedkie Moving & Storage can help simply the process. You might think about renting a truck to get their household items to school, and in some cases that might be the least expensive and convenient option, but in some cases it may actually be less expensive, safer, and save a lot of hassle, to use a professional moving service. Truck rental may seem like the cheaper option, and usually is best option locally, but when you factor in the gas, time, and one way rental fees on a long distance move – full service may be affordable, with a lot less stress, and work. Give us a call today and Liedkie Moving & Storage will get you on your way.
Liedkie Moving & Storage is your Albany Moving Company ready to provide resources and support to ease your stress as your college student readies for a new year away from home. We wish your son or daughter a successful and happy college year!